After reading Chapter 4 of The Great Gatsby, pair up with someone you have not worked with so far this year. Together, discuss the questions below. As you do so, make notes about what you talk about and any specific quotes that you reference as a post on your own blog. Both members of the partnership should complete a blog post for this although they should look very similar.
- More rumours emerge about Gatsby. List them and any others we have read about so far. What kind of picture is emerging about this man?
- Why do you think Fitzgerald lists all of Gatsby’s party guests?
- Gatsby tells Nick about his life. Do you believe him? Why/why not? Bonus question: do you think Nick believes him?
- What does Jordan’s story of Daisy’s marriage reveal about Daisy? Does this change your perspective on Daisy at all? Why/why not?
- Nick says, “There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.” What do you think he means by this? List each of the major characters we have met so far in the novel and assign them to one of the four categories Nick describes. Pick three and justify your assignment.